www.flickr.com
    follow me on Twitter









    Charlotte Purls


    Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker

    and they call me 'Mommy'...

    Drips and dribbles of my life and the things that peak my interest... mainly the kidlets and knitting.

    Saturday, July 12, 2008

    Very Sad ~ Dory is Pulling Again

    Dory is back to pulling hair again. Her part is getting thiner and it has become obvious that she is also lying about it. She still likes to fiddle with hairs when she is sucking her thumb and often finds the ones that I shed and picks them up. I don't really have an issue with that since they are not being ripped in a clump out of her head.
    This afternoon she walked up to me and asked me a question. (This just happened and I have no memory of what it was.) I took the clump of hair from her and asked her where she got it. She responded from the floor.... but they were perfectly lined up and root ends were showing all over on one side. She had lied, big time. I could look at her and guess where from but asked her anyway. I was right about the location. We called Daddy and gave him the sad news. We talked about how she could just now wear a pony tail and pig tails and about how we would have to cut it all off again if she didn't stop pulling from her head. I pulled up pictures on the computer to remind her of when she had no hair because she had a shaved head.
    I thought we were done with this, thought it was behind us. I thought we had managed to contain it to the toddler years. I was wrong, lying to myself. I knew we were not going to be that lucky. What to do about it? I don't know. I will go back to my research and see if I can find more suggestions. I wish she wouldn't have to deal with this. I do not know that guilt will work to stop it, I fear it might just make it worse... but I don't know. I want to do what is right for her... but feel so helpless as to where to go and what to do. I know in many ways, and very likely, it is related to (and basically a form of) OCD, which certainly runs in my family undiagnosed. We all have our own forms of it.
    I could just cry.

    Labels: ,

    2 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I am so sorry to hear this, I wish we knew what could be done so she doesn't have to have "no" hair again...praying for you XOXO

    4:57 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    What a tough situation, Jenny. I wish I had some suggestions, but I do want you to know that it isn't your fault, and try not to be hard on yourself about it. You are doing the best you can, and that's all that we, as parents, can do. I know you'll handle this as best you can!

    2:15 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home