www.flickr.com
    follow me on Twitter









    Charlotte Purls


    Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker

    and they call me 'Mommy'...

    Drips and dribbles of my life and the things that peak my interest... mainly the kidlets and knitting.

    Monday, April 10, 2006

    NC forces children to wean.

    The state and counties of NC are becoming notorious for calling breastfeeding mothers in for jury duty and then not dismissing them. More than a handful of Moms I know have had this happen just last year. It is absolutely positively absurd. The moms are told that their children can use the court system's childcare (also used for criminals kids and children who are witnesses to crimes) and that just because the child is EXCLUSIVELY BREASTFED that there is NO reason to be excused from a civil duty. Also, some moms are excused right away and others are forced to endure hardships to actually appear, there is absolutely no concrete policy. You are at the whim of who is on the receiving end of your letter. And if you were stupid enough to take your kid with you? Government run child care and contempt of court awaits you. Forget the law that states here in NC that if you have a right to otherwise be there, you have a right to be there breastfeeding.
    N.C. Gen. Stat. sec. 14-190.9
    1993 N.C. ALS 301; 1993 N.C. Sess. Laws 301; 1993 N.C. Ch. 301; 1993 N.C. HB 1143

    "§ 14-190.9. Indecent exposure.
    (B) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a woman may breast feed in any public or private location where she is otherwise authorized to be, irrespective of whether the nipple of the mother's breast is uncovered during or incidental to the breast feeding.

    I mean, if the kid is exclusively breastfed, generally they will not take a bottle. Meaning that the poor child will scream, cry and starve all day. THAT should be considered child abuse and punishable by law.... But no, it's the court system we have here.

    Apparently NC is not the only backwards state. Check this out: Family Friendly Jury Duty, it's a real eye opener.

    There are over 4 pages that just go on and on about how nursing mothers were not allowed to postpone on Charlotte Mommies, unfortunately I can not share them. :( It's what has me all riled up. While I have not yet been called, and would love to serve my civic duty, I AM still breastfeeding and have another baby on the way so I will be doing so for quite some time. This really concerns me.

    I know of a bill that will hopefully be introduced in the house next session. Let me know if you want more info on it. I also know that those of us who are concerned will be attending a rally/protest here in Charlotte soon. When details are released I will certainly share them with you.

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home