www.flickr.com
    follow me on Twitter









    Charlotte Purls


    Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker

    and they call me 'Mommy'...

    Drips and dribbles of my life and the things that peak my interest... mainly the kidlets and knitting.

    Monday, July 30, 2007

    Cream Cheese 'n Whey, or well, Curds 'n Whey for now

    Well, a few months ago I made butter with my friend Shannon and have been intending to make more for us. Shannon brought over 2 jars of fresh buttermilk for me to get started with. Well, I fell through and let it sit. And sit. And sit. Yesterday I went to pull it out and finally get started. To my surprise, kinda', it wasn't exactly buttermilk anymore. It had separated. It looked like whey on top but I could not for the life of me figure out that was below it in large clumps. I asked everywhere and looked all over the internet for an answer to what happens to raw buttermilk that ages... nothing. Well, I gave up and decided to taste it. It was like cream cheese but runny. Then I found it. The old fashioned recipe that makes cream cheese and whey out of buttermilk. It wasn't aged, but the process is the same, just quicker than when sitting in the back of the fridge for months.
    So, tomorrow I'm getting some cheese cloth to drain (what are apparently) the curds from all of the whey and adding some salt.
    I can't wait. How exciting. Home made cream cheese!

    Labels:

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home